Sign up to the Irish FA Newsletter today

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news from the Irish FA including ticket updates, match information, competitions, articles and much more.
Thank you

Saturday 05 Feb 2022
Irish Cup: Second Round recap

Glentoran and Dungannon Swifts survived potential banana skins to book last eight places in the Samuel Gelston's Irish Cup, alongside Crusaders, Cliftonville and Coleraine on a day when the conditions made life difficult for all concerned.

The Glens kicked the afternoon off with a 4-0 victory over Championship side Queen's University in the early kick-off at The Dub. Mick McDermott's men needed an early goal to stamp their authority on proceedings, and got it with just over a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock when Michael O'Connor directed a header past the home keeper.

Robbie McDaid then bagged two goals in as many minutes midway through the first half before Shay McCartan completed the scoring with a superbly executed free-kick late in the game.

Saturday's Irish Cup results

  • - Queen's 0-4 Glentoran
  • - Ballinamallard United 0-1 Crusaders
  • - Carrick Rangers 0-1 Cliftonville
  • - Coleraine 2-0 Portadown
  • - Dungannon Swifts 4-1 Annagh United
  • - Ballymena United -P- Portstewart

Dungannon Swifts also hit four on their way past Annagh United at Stangmore Park. Cathair Friel opened the scoring for the Swifts as early as the third minute but Adam Carroll levelled for the Championship visitors on 17 minutes.

Irish Cup: Bonis double sends holders Linfield out

However Friel, on his Swifts debut, doubled his tally on 24 minutes after getting his head to a corner to squeeze the ball over the line. Then, just after the hour, Ben Gallagher made it 3-1 with a great solo effort before knocking home number four with just over ten minutes remaining.

It was much closer elsewhere, however.

Crusaders managed just one goal away to Ballinamallard United, but Philip Lowry's 52nd minute close range finish was enough to book a last eight place for Stephen Baxter's side.

And Cliftonville had to wait until the 81st minute to defeat Carrick Rangers at the Loughview Leisure Arena. Ronan Doherty bagged what turned out to be the only goal of the game when, following a goalmouth scramble, he got the touch to turn the ball home.

Meanwhile, at the Showgrounds, Coleraine hit two without reply past Portadown. Lyndon Kane handed the Bannsiders the lead on the hour with a header, before Josh Carson doubled up with a well struck first time effort into the far corner three minutes from time.

The Ballymena United v. Portstewart game was called off due to a waterlogged pitch and will now be played on Tuesday 15th February (kick-off 7:45pm).