Sign up to the Irish FA Newsletter today

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news from the Irish FA including ticket updates, match information, competitions, articles and much more.
Thank you

Wednesday 08 Jan 2020
Trevor Carson: New Motherwell deal for Northern Ireland stopper

Northern Ireland goalkeeper Trevor Carson has penned a new two-and-a-half-year contract with Scottish Premiership side Motherwell which will keep him at Fir Park until the summer of 2022.

The 31-year-old, who is currently at Motherwell’s training camp in Tenerife, told the club’s website he was pleased to have signed a new deal. 

“I am delighted to be staying with the club,” said Carson, who joined ‘Well from Hartlepool United in June 2017. “It was a no-brainer to stay with a team that is continuing to constantly improve.

“I will keep working hard for the squad as we try and push in in the second half of the season and beyond.”

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson said: “It’s a massive plus for us to retain a goalkeeper of Trevor’s quality on a long-term contract.

I’m convinced Trevor will go from strength to strength and continue to push for more international recognition

“We are delighted he has shown his commitment to the club for the next two-and-a-half years, even though he had no shortage of offers from other clubs at our level.

“I’m convinced Trevor will go from strength to strength and continue to push for more international recognition,” added the former Northern Ireland assistant manager, “It also shows our intent as a club to continually build the squad and keep moving forward.”

The Killyleagh born netminder has won five caps for his country to date his last appearance coming in a 2-1 defeat to Austria in a Nations League game at Windsor Park in November 2018. 

Meanwhile, former Northern Ireland U21 player Cameron McGeehan has joined Portsmouth on loan from Barnsley for the rest of the season. 

The 24-year-old has made 14 appearances this term for the Tykes, and has not started a Championship game since he found the net in the 4-2 defeat to Michael O'Neill's Stoke on 9 November.