Sign up to the Irish FA Newsletter today

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news from the Irish FA including ticket updates, match information, competitions, articles and much more.
Thank you

Wednesday 24 Oct 2018
NI winger Gavin Whyte nets stunner to seal point for Oxford United

Winger Gavin Whyte hit a stunning second-half goal to earn Oxford United a deserved point in their League One clash against Charlton Athletic at the Valley last night. 

With the visitors 1-0 down, the former Crusaders man came off the bench to drill a 71st-minute equaliser into the top corner for his fourth goal of the season. 

Speaking after the game Whyte said: “We needed something special and I’m buzzing I did it. 

“I actually thought it was hitting the post with the angle I was at, but you don’t care when it goes in.

“I don’t think it was my best. I scored a few crackers for Crusaders, but it was a special goal and I’ll not forget it any time soon.”

The 22-year-old admitted he was disappointed Oxford did not come away with all three points after the chances they created. 

“The first half wasn’t so good, but we just needed a spark,” he added, “The boys came out in the second half and they were brilliant. 

“We’re a confident team and will go into every game thinking we can get something out of it.

“Charlton are a massive club and they were probably the favourites, but we dug deep, got a point and probably should have won it.”

In the Championship, Middlesbrough boss Tony Pulis started Paddy McNair as a wing-back in their goalless draw at home to Rotherham United while Shane Ferguson weighed in with his third assist of the season after setting up Millwall’s winner in the 2-1 home victory over Wigan Athletic.

Former Northern Ireland midfielder Michael O’Connor returned to the Lincoln City starting line-up after injury and celebrated by scoring his second goal of the campaign as the League Two leaders were held to a 2-2 draw at home by Carlisle United.

Elsewhere in the division, Northern Ireland under-19 international Liam Smyth made his league debut for Stevenage aged just 17 years and 47 days after playing the final four minutes of their scoreless encounter with Port Vale at Broadhall Way.