Sign up to the Irish FA Newsletter today

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news from the Irish FA including ticket updates, match information, competitions, articles and much more.
Thank you

Saturday 07 Jan 2023
Irish Cup | Fifth Round recap

Fifth Round day in the Samuel Gelston’s Whiskey Irish Cup rarely disappoints and this year was no exception.

Championship side HW Welders caused the upset of the round with victory over top flight opponents Newry City at The Showgrounds.

The sides traded goals midway through the first half with John McGovern edging City in front before Jonny Frazer levelled for the Welders direct from a corner soon after. That was how it stayed until the closing moments when Kyle Owens bagged what proved to be the winner for Paul Kee’s side.

There might not have been an upset in the end but, at Ferney Park, there was no shortage of late drama as Glenavon scored twice in the closing moments to knock out Ballinamallard United.

Scoreless for much of the game, Caolan McAleer looked to have handed the Mallards a famous victory on 80 minutes … but that was only the beginning of what turned out to be a frantic conclusion to the game!

Peter Campbell found the net from a free-kick in stoppage time before Matthew Fitzpatrick turned home an overhead kick to break home hearts.

There was also a penalty shoot-out to savour. The all-Premiership clash between Carrick Rangers and Ballymena United ended all square after 90 minutes. Lloyd Anderson edged Rangers in front on 69 minutes before Conor Keeley levelled for the Sky Blues ten minutes after that.

Extra-time failed to produce any further goals, with United coming out on top after spot-kicks thanks to efforts from Mikey Place, Ross Redman and Paul McElroy.

Holders Crusaders swept to a 6-0 victory over Dergview at Seaview. Dean Ebbe bagged a hat-trick for Stephen Baxter’s side with further goals coming from Jordan Owens, Philip Lowry and Johnny McMurray.

Premiership leaders Larne hit three goals without reply past Crumlin United at Inver Park. The Amateur League side held firm until the 37th minute when Lee Bonis opened the scoring from the spot, with further goals coming after the break from Leroy Millar and Shea Gordon.

Linfield also hit three goals at home in their victory over Warrenpoint Town. Robbie McDaid kicked things off on 23 minutes, Chris McKee doubled up not long after the interval with Andrew Clarke completing the scoring late on.

Two early goals saw Glentoran overcome a potential banana skin away to Moyola Park. Terry Devlin broke the deadlock with just over a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock while Danny Purkis added a second five minutes later.

Coleraine trailed at the break as Championship leaders Loughgall visited the Showgrounds. Jackson Holmes headed the Villagers in front moments from half-time, but the Bannsiders responded well in the second half thanks to goals from Conor McKendry, Matthew Shevlin and Michael McCrudden.

Both Bangor and Institute bagged four goals and kept clean sheets at home. Ben Arthurs even claimed the match ball with three as the Seasiders accounted for Tandragee Rovers while ‘Stute swept Annagh United aside with Shaun Leppard, Cormac Burke, Jack McFeely and Orrin McLaughlin all registering.

Elsewhere Dungannon Swifts defeated Ards 3-1 (Ethan McGee, Ben Cushnie and Ryan Mayse) while Portadown got past Banbridge Town courtesy of goals from Cathair Friel and Jonah Mitchell.

Also making the last 16 were Championship sides Ballyclare Comrades, Knockbreda and Newington. The Comrades knocked out Dollingstown, ‘Breda defeated St. Mary’s YC while the Swans won 2-1 at home to Ballymoney United.

v P P

AET  ({{fixture.homePenaltyScore}} - {{fixture.awayPenaltyScore}}) penalties
{{fixture.compName}} {{getType(fixture)}}

{{fixture.dateFormatted2}}, {{fixture.timeFormatted}} Kick Off Time TBC at {{fixture.stadium}}