Sign up to the Irish FA Newsletter today

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news from the Irish FA including ticket updates, match information, competitions, articles and much more.
Thank you

Sunday 22 Jan 2023
Intermediate Cup | Third Round recap

A strong second half performance saw East Belfast power through to the next round of the McComb's Coach Travel Intermediate Cup with a 4-0 home defeat of Strabane Athletic.

Scoreless at the break, the NAFL Premier Division side moved in front on 50 minutes through Wesley Patterson following some good work from Stephen Cockcroft.

Dean Annett added a second with just over a quarter-of-an-hour remaining, before Nathan O'Neill extend their advantage barely three minutes later.

Brandon Lindsay then completed the scoring with a couple of minutes left on the clock.

The 'tie of the round' was one of just eight games to beat the weather, with the majority of the remaining games now rescheduled for next Saturday (28th January).

Joining East Belfast in the next stage of the competition are Crumlin Star, who swept to a 5-0 victory over Ballynahinch Olympic at the Cliftonville Playing Fields.

Joe McNeill opened the scoring on six minutes, with Kevin Lynch bagging another two in the latter stages of the first half. Stephen Smyth then hit a double in the final ten minutes to make sure.

Rosemount Rec. also hit four goals in their home win over Ballymoney United. Jordan Dalzell opened the scoring early in the second half with Conor Ross levelling soon after for the visitors.

However, Dalzell struck again just after the hour, with Nicholas Eccles and Sam McCullough also registering for Rosemount.

It was a much tighter affair at Wilbourne Park as Islandmagee squeezed past Bangor Amateurs after extra-time.

Jack Upritchard had fired Bangor in front on 14 minutes, a lead they held until four minutes after the break when Arron Anderson levelled.

Aaron McKeown restored Bangor's advantage moments later but a Christopher Trussell 71st minute finish saw the sides level at the end of normal time. Callum Rollo then went on to bag Islandmagee's winner early in the second period of extra-time.

An additional half-an-hour was also required at the Hammer as Shankill United defeated Newbuildings by the odd goal in seven.

Mark Marshall bagged Shankill's opener after just five minutes, but second half goals from Anthony Hargan and Jordan Thompson saw the balance tip in favour of the visitors.

Thomas Dickson hit Shankill's second with ten minutes to go, but Newbuildings edged back in front again five minutes into extra-time. Then two goals in as many minutes from Kyle Anderson and Lee Rea saw the home side ultimately secure their place in the fourth round.

The only all Premier Intermediate League clash saw Armagh City get the better of Portstewart at Mullaghacall.

Scoreless for almost an hour, a Jordan King own goal saw the Seahawks handed a 55th minute lead but Stefan Lavery's strike on 75th minute and then Marc Connell's stoppage time winner proved enough for Shea Campbell's visitors.

Elsewhere, both Oxford Sunnyside and Holywood kept clean sheets as they defeated Dundonald and Portaferry Rovers respectively.

Gabriel Palko, Gary Lavery and Marcio Soares - all after the break - found the net for Oxford while Matthew Andrews and Calum James hit the target for Holywood at Spafield Park.

v P P

AET  ({{fixture.homePenaltyScore}} - {{fixture.awayPenaltyScore}}) penalties
{{fixture.compName}} {{getType(fixture)}}

{{fixture.dateFormatted2}}, {{fixture.timeFormatted}} Kick Off Time TBC at {{fixture.stadium}}