I Fan News
Thank you
H Tickets

Thursday 06 Apr 2017
Lurgan side beat Ahoghill Thistle on penalties

Hill Street will play Enniskillen Rangers in this season's IFA Junior Cup Final after defeating Ahoghill Thistle on penalties.

It was a drama-packed game at Seaview through normal time and extra time that saw the sides end up level at 2-2 on the night before Hill Street won the penalty shootout 4-2.

In the first half Hill Street had to play almost 12 minutes with 10 men following a head injury to Matthew Reynolds. The Hill Street player was unable to resume action and parity was restored with a substitution.

Thistle appeared to have missed out on the advantage of the extra man but then the Ballymena Saturday Morning League side hit a purple patch on the half-hour.

Matthew Boyd rattled the post with a 20-yard free-kick, a minute later Ryan Sands shot over and then the breakthrough came when Boyd headed home a corner in the 33rd minute.

Hill Street's best chance in the first half fell to Kyle Cousins in added time but his header was straight at Thistle keeper Sean Ward.

The second half produced few clearcut chances. In fact neither goalkeeper was really troubled in a half more notable for cards than goalmouth action.

Hill Street looked liked they were going out, however on 90+1 minutes a great delivery from the right was slotted home by Cousins to take the game into extra time.

The Lurgan side probably thought they had won it in the second period of extra time when Ian Penny hooked the ball against the crossbar and it ricocheted into the net off the unfortunate David Calderwood.

Minutes later Penny was dismissed, as was Thistle goalkeeper Ward, following a separate incident.

Thistle looked down and out - but in the first minute of added time (110 minutes +1) Chris Getty dramatically levelled the tie, latching on to a long ball and lobbing it over the advancing Aaron Kidd.

On then to penalties. Thistle missed their first, Hill Street scored their first four, and when Thistle's final kick went over the bar Mid-Ulster's Hill Street were over the moon and into the showpiece final.