Sign up to the Irish FA Newsletter today

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news from the Irish FA including ticket updates, match information, competitions, articles and much more.
Thank you

Monday 30 Oct 2023
Clearer Water Irish Cup | Third Round recap

The Clearer Water Irish Cup continued on Saturday with the 13 ties that beat the weather leaving the winning clubs just one game away from taking their place alongside the senior sides in January.

The 'tie of the round' saw Premier Intermediate League side Queen's University defeat Comber Rec., of the Northern Amateur Premier, after a gripping encounter at The Dub.

Queen's got off to a blistering start when, after just two minutes, Ciaran O'Hare fired them in front from a Chris Middleton corner. O'Hare then struck again to double the home advantage during the opening exchanges of the second half after linking up with Stewart Nixon.

But Comber stormed back with aplomb, reducing the deficit through Brett Conville on 55 minutes and levelling courtesy of Elliot Wilson's finish almost immediately after that.

Remarkably Comber then edged in front with 20 minutes remaining with Wilson's second of the afternoon only for Queen's to respond with a quarter-of-an-hour to go with a Joshua Corry strike through a crowded penalty area.

And what proved to be the winner for the Students came with seven minutes left on the clock when Middleton directed a header past keeper Corey Pollock.

Moyola Park, first Irish Cup winners back in 1881, began life under new boss Kenny Shiels with a trip to Larne to take on Willowbank but exited the competition after Christopher Heaney knocked home the only goal of the game right at the end of normal time.

They weren't the only PIL team to bow out after Portstewart went down 3-1 at home to Ballymoney United.

The Seahawks raced into an early lead through Pierce Quigley after 15 minutes, but Reece Watton levelled for United towards the end of the first half. Gerald Gillan then fired the Toon in front just before the hour, with Paul Keane adding a third from the spot with ten minutes left.

Ballymacash Rangers hit three goals in five minutes as they knocked out Downshire YM on the Old Coach Road.

Scoreless at the break, Benny Igiehon opened the scoring for the visitors on 51 minutes, Tony Tumelty then doubled their lead a couple of minutes after that before Dylan Sinnerton hit a third a short time later.

Limavady United were top scorers on the day with a 5-0 away win over Newbuildings United, with five different players finding the net for the Roesiders.

Dean Brown broke the deadlock after half-an-hour, with Matthew Walker making it 2-0 midway through the second half. Further goals then came via John Butcher, Ian Parkhill and, in stoppage time, Joe McCready.

Lisburn Rangers hit four goals as they got past Dunmurry Rec. at Stanley Park with Jonathan Smith bagging the winner in the closing moments of extra-time after he knocked home the rebound when his initial spot-kick had been saved.

Derriaghy CC and Tobermore United also scored four apiece as they defeated Aquinas and Kilmore Rec. respectively.

Also progressing to the next round were Crumlin Star, Warrenpoint Town, Fivemiletown United, Strabane Athletic and Valley Rangers.

v P P

AET  ({{fixture.homePenaltyScore}} - {{fixture.awayPenaltyScore}}) penalties
{{fixture.compName}} {{getType(fixture)}}

{{fixture.dateFormatted2}}, {{fixture.timeFormatted}} Kick Off Time TBC at {{fixture.stadium}}