Sign up to the Irish FA Newsletter today

Keep up-to-date with all the latest news from the Irish FA including ticket updates, match information, competitions, articles and much more.
Thank you

Monday 05 Feb 2024
fonaCAB Junior Cup | Fifth Round recap

Just eight sides remain in the fonaCAB Craig Stanfield Junior Cup following Saturday's fifth round ties.

The 'tie of the round' saw Cleary Celtic, from the Carnbane Football League, travel to the Bann Road Playing Fields to take on NAFL Division 2A side Castlewellan Town.

In a closely fought contest, Castlewellan moved in front through Shea Croskery midway through the first half, but Celtic levelled a few minutes from the break when Neil Barr converted from the spot.

With no further scoring, it needed penalties to settle the tie with the visitors emerging 3-0 winners to secure their place in the quarter-finals.

Holders Dergview Reserves also required a penalty shoot-out to continue their defence of the trophy at the expense of Enniskillen Town United in Castlederg.

The experienced Duwayne McManus opened the scoring for Town just after the half-hour mark, but Alaaeddine Dhouioui hit back for Dergview just three minutes after that.

Again, no further goals were forthcoming with Dergview coming out on top after the spot-kick lottery.

There were no such issues for Enniskillen Rangers as they hit a remarkable ten goals without reply past Lurgan Town Reserves at The Ball Range.

Mark Cutler hit a 20-minute hat-trick to set the tone for the game and went on to bag another couple to bring his personal tally to five goals with Jason Keenan, Jamie Robinson, Joel Byrne, Jordan McClure and Stuart Rainey also finding the net for the Fermanagh & Western side.

Coalisland Athletic, winners in 2022 and losing semi-finalists last season, are also through following a 4-2 home win over Irvinestown Wanderers.

Stephen Sheridan had fired the visitors in front as early as the opening minute, but Coalisland responded positively with Sean Corr bagging a double midway through the first half ahead of a second for Sheridan just before the break.

The game ultimately required extra-time to settle it, with Ciaran Magee edging Coalisland back in front on 99 minutes before Corr made sure with his hat-trick in the second period.

Trojans YCG also racked up four goals as they travelled to defeat Broughshane-based Raceview.

Raymond Rogan broke the deadlock on 26 minutes, but it was a couple of goals in quick succession just before the hour from Ryan McCreadie and Oran Carlin that effectively killed the game off, with Patrick Ward wrapping things up three minutes from time.

Lisbellaw United also progressed with a 2-1 away win over Clough Rangers. All the scoring came in a nine-minute spell just after the half-hour mark with Christopher Montgomery firing Rangers in front before the visitors answered with goals from Richard Woods and Craig Johnston.

And Lisbellaw's Fermanagh & Western stablemates, Tummery Athletic, joined them in the next round after travelling to overcome Downpatrick by the same scoreline.

Declan McNulty broke the deadlock on the stroke of half-time with Martin Hughes adding a second with six minutes remaining. Dylan Kelly did pull one back for the home side right at the end of normal time but it wasn't enough to spark a last gasp revival.

Lincoln Courts complete the last eight line-up following their 3-2 home defeat of NFC Kesh.

Reece Kinkaid handed the North West Junior League side the advantage with just over half-an-hour on the clock, but a Grant Ellis double before the break tipped the balance in favour of the visitors.

But Reece Adair levelled for Courts on 71 minutes before, a short time after that, Kinkaid grabbed what proved to be the winner with his second of the afternoon.

v P P

AET  ({{fixture.homePenaltyScore}} - {{fixture.awayPenaltyScore}}) penalties
{{fixture.compName}} {{getType(fixture)}}

{{fixture.dateFormatted2}}, {{fixture.timeFormatted}} Kick Off Time TBC at {{fixture.stadium}}