I Fan News
Thank you
H Tickets

Monday 04 May 2015
Harryville Homers Win 2015 Junior Cup

Both teams took time to settle in as the game got off to a scrappy start. 

Homers started to get their foot on the gas after the opening 15 minutes and Paul McNeill had a chance to open the scoring but his shot was blocked by Stephen Atcheson.  

Ryan Stewart then stung the palms of Chris Rice in the Rosemount goal before an audacious overhead kick from just inside the box from Gary Bonnes was also tipped over by the Rosemount keeper. 

On the half hour mark Homers had a great chance to take the lead when Ryan Stewart picked out Gary Bonnes with a left wing cross but his header was blocked on the line by Stephen Atcheson. 

Two minutes later Rosemount struck the opening goal when a corner from Nicky Eccles was met by the head of Stephen Atcheson and he powered his header past Alex McCosh to give the Amateur League side the lead. 

Homers didn't panic though and three minutes before the break they were given a great opportunity to get level when Alan Rainey headed the ball on for Paul McNeill who was fouled in the box as he was about to shoot. 

A penalty kick was awarded and the Rosemount defender David Keenan was given his marching orders. 

Captain Gary Bonnes stepped up but his spot kick was dragged wide as Homers missed their chance to level before the break.

Homers started the second half on the front foot putting Rosemount under severe pressure and it paid off on 53 minutes. 

Gary Bonnes contested a long ball forward and the ball went up in the air 18 yards from goal - David Nicholl magnificently found the bottom corner of the net with an overhead kick. 

The ten men of Rosemount were struggling to get out off their own half now as Homers had them pegged back, but some good defending from Stephen Atcheson limited Homers to long range efforts with Mark McKay coming the closest. 

Homers second half pressure eventually paid off with 15 minutes to go when they went in front. 

Ryan Stewart swung over a corner kick from the right which Rosemount failed to deal with and in the resulting scramble Paul McNeill poked the ball home. 

Rosemount then threw everything forward in search of an equaliser, but Homers were in no mood to let their lead slip with Ian Russell superb in keeping their opponents out. 

In the final minute of stoppage time Homers sealed the win when Paul McNeill raced clear and unselfishly squared the ball to Jasin Magill to slot home and secure the Junior Cup win for his side.

After the final whistle Jackie Morrison, Chairman of the Irish Junior and Youth Cup Committee handed the Junior Cup over to winning Harryville Homers Captain Gary Bonnes and the celebrations began.

Final Score: Harryville Homes 3  Rosemount Rec 1
Man of the Match: David Nicholl