Betting in football has become much more than just the final result, with multiple markets offered both pre-game and in-play. Football betting is also more accessible than ever, with the ability to gamble online, by telephone, text, in person in a betting shop or via your friends.
• You are not allowed to place any bet on a game involving your club;
• You are not allowed to place any bet on a game in a competition (such as cup competitions or the league itself) in which your club plays;
• This includes competitions your club is due to play in but has not yet started and competitions your club has been knocked out of;
• You are not allowed to place a bet on a game or competition in which you have any influence, either direct or indirect;
• You are not allowed to bet on any under-18 matches;
• You are not allowed to ask or instruct anyone to place any of the bets above on your behalf;
• The above includes all bets related to the following:
– The result of a particular match, matches or the competition itself;
– Any events in the progress of a match or matches (for example, number of yellow/red cards, corners etc);
– Any other events involving your club or other clubs playing in the same league competition.
• All players registered with a club are deemed to participate in every match played by that club at all levels (eg first team, reserves) while they are so registered, including during injuries, suspensions, time off etc.
• All employees, volunteers, board/committee members and/or anyone assisting within a club are deemed to participate in every match played by that club.
• A NIFL referee places a £5 bet on five NIFL Premiership matches, leaving out the game in which they are fourth official that day. Even though they leave out the game which they are officiating in, they are still in breach of the rules as they are betting on NIFL games (of any kind).
• A NIFL PIL player places a bet on the first goal scorer in the Irish Cup final which is being played between two NIFL Premiership teams: the player is in breach of the rules because they are betting on a competition in which their club has competed during that season.