Release Date: 25/06/2012
Irish Football Association (IFA) has recently appointed planning consultants and an architecture led design team to prepare and submit a planning application seeking full planning permission for the upgrading of Windsor Park to provide an 18,000 seated capacity National Football Stadium.
The capacity of the stadium for recent matches has been approximately 14,500 but larger crowds have attended matches in previous years.
The (attached) plan shows the existing accesses from Olympia Drive and the footbridge together with a potential temporary construction access off Boucher Road and a potential additional pedestrian link through Translink lands to the Adelaide Halt. These latter elements are still subject to discussions with the relevant parties and are included to allow a more comprehensive assessment of the potential environmental effects.
It is anticipated that the redevelopment works will comprise:
- Refurbishment of the north and west stands without significantly altering the overall bulk of those stands;
- Demolition of the south and east stands;
- Replacement of the south and east stands with newly constructed stands to provide a partially enclosed stadium;
- Replacement of tall flood lighting masts with flood lights mounted on stands;
- Development of ancillary office accommodation to provide a new headquarters for the Irish Football Association; and
- Development of an appropriate level of conference facilities.
IFA are currently undertaking a consultation exercise as the first part of a two stage consultation to be completed during June and August 2012. This exercise is designed to engage members of the local community, business groups and other interested parties, as part of the design process for the Windsor Park Stadium Redevelopment Project.
A second detailed consultation period will take place sometime between August and Oct 2012. IFA is aware of the need to seek the views and concerns of the community to allow the final design proposals for the stadium to reflect community concerns as far as possible.
Presently, IFA would welcome your comments on the redevelopment proposals at this stage – please use the comments box below or email email@example.com
Enter your NI Fans username and password to sign-in.